Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

For the love of cooking

I used to hate anything that had to do with cooking or baking. I remember one time in high school an old friend and I were making brownies and once they were done we tried one. We named it the inside out brownie because we switched the amount of some of the ingrediants and they didn't taste right. Everytime I would make something I'd either burn it, forget an ingrediant, add too much of the ingrediant, or not read the directions close enough and do the steps wrong. After all of the frustration, I gave up. I stopped wanting to bake or cook. When my husband and I moved out on our own, our dinners consisted of anything in the frozen department at the grocery store. All I wanted to do was stick it in the oven and be done with it. Okay, so here and there I'd try some things from scratch just so my cook books didn't collect too much dust. :-)

As time went by I'd start experimenting more and more. I think it was to prove to my husband and father-in-law that I could cook without burning the house down or at least making the smoke detector go off. I say that because when we first bought our house my father-in-law made a comment about me cooking and it sort of upset me. Now if you know my father-in-law, he's an awesome guy and all about joking with me. I knew not to take it to heart. So when I say it upset me, it's only because I let myself give up when I wasn't "succeeding".

In October of 2011, I stopped working while I was pregnant with our second so I had a lot of time on my hands. That sounds silly. Anyone who is a mom knows parenting is a full-time job. I'll be cleaning up food my daughter threw on the floor, tidying up the house, cooking, potty training, cleaning the carpet from accidents, and getting crayon off the wall all at the same time. Anyways, since I had more time to cook, I started to enjoy it more.

Now, we usually never have the same meal in a month..except pizza. My husband and daughter love pizza. And it gives me one night off in the kitchen. When it comes to baking. I will find any reason to make cupcakes.

I started this blog because I wanted to have a way of keeping track of the dinners/desserts I make. I've had a few friends ask for some of the recipes and instead of typing them out every time someone asks, I figured why not have a blog that my friends and family can see what I've made lately but also as a public recipe book for those of you interested in trying them out yourself.

So here it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment